It’s the work of architects Maruri, of Cuba, and Jean Beleu, of Belgium, who came up with an eclectic design, which harmoniously combines Spanish, French and German architectural elements. It was originally designed to house the Provincial Government of Havana, but it was finished in 1920 to be the Presidential Palace.
It was the headquarters of the Cuban government for 40 years. It witnessed how the politicians of the time maneuvered the destiny of a nation, trapped in contradictions between the national interests and the official politics committed to the United States. On March 13, 1957 a group of university students stormed the Presidential Palace with the aim of executing dictator Fulgencio Batista. The assault failed and most of the young attackers got killed. This episode, together with the attack on the Moncada Barracks, were the corner stores of the last stage of Cuban insurrection.
Today the Presidential Palace harbors the Museum of te Revolution, which presents a rich exhibit that covers from the rise of the Cuban nation till our days (History of Cuba, Archeology, Weapons, Paintings and sculptures). The “Granma” Memorial can be found outside the museum. Such memorial is an enormous glass display case that shows the ship used by Fidel Castro and more than eighty combatants to return to Cuba from the exile in Mexico.
Type: Historic Cuba Museums.
Address: Calle Refugio No. 1 e/ Monserrate y Zulueta. Ciudad de La Habana.
Open: Every day.